How To Create Clean Air In A Nail Salon
Nail salons are a great place to go to glam up, unwind and get pampered. If you're a nail salon or hair salon owner, your top priority is to aways to create an unforgettable experience for your customer, however it requires a lot of cosmetics and chemicals. Just one question, have you thought about what is in those cosmetics? There are many chemicals in cosmetics, however those chemicals have the potential to be harmful creating fumes in the air. That is why it is extremely important to consider the indoor air of your salon.
When we took a deeper look at cosmetics in hair salons and nail salons, we found some alarming things. There are alot of substances that can become potential air quality threats that can cause many issues. Studies show that harmful chemicals found in many of these products can create fumes that gather up in the air that are harmful to breathe. Although it can be an unpleasant experience for customers to breathe in the chemicals, it is the salon owners who are more prone to air borne risks from breathing them in as they are in the salon for extended periods of time. These chemicals may not be harmful in the small doses exposed to customers however they have connections to longer term health issues for those who have prolonged exposure to them. Here is a list of some to look out for, where they are usually found and what health concerns they have:
- Ammonium Persulfate - this is typically found in hair bleach and it can cause coughing, shortness of breath and irritation to skin, eyes and nose with a potential long term health risk of asthma.
- Methyl Methacrylate - found in artificial nails, the dusk from filing can cause health problems like breathing problems, chest tightness and irritation to eyes, nose and throat as well as long term risks like loss of smell and asthma.
- Formaldehyde - found in nail hardener and also can be created through chemical reactions with other substances, it can cause breathing problems, coughing, wheezing skin rashes and irritation to eyes, nose and throat as well as more serious long term health risks like cancer and dermatitis.
- Quaternary Ammonium Compounds - usually found in disinfectants and cleaners, it’s properties can cause dizziness and irritation to skin, eyes and throat with a long term health risk of asthma.
- Acetone - this is found in nail polish remover and hair spray and is able to cause dizziness and irritation to skin, eyes and throat however there is a risk that these symptoms get worse and more permanent.
Although these health concerns are worth pointing out, there are ways that we can minimize the risk they can cause with simple and easy precautions to create a better and safer salon environment, here are some tips:
- Store And Dispose Of Cosmetics Carefully - Making sure that nothing is left out can be a great way to make sure chemicals do not evaporate in the air. Simple things like closing bottles tightly when they are not being used prevents spills and fumes is important and as for disposing of used and chemical soaked products, using metal trash cans with tight, self-closing lid while also following instructions for safely disposal is the best option.
- Use Less Hazardous Cosmetics And Stay Well Protected - Whenever possible, using products that are least hazardous while only using the amount of product you need and not keeping extra products at workstations is always best. You can give yourself extra protection by wearing a mask, gloves and goggles, not only to protect against chemicals but also viruses like covid 19.
- Purify Indoor Salon Air - Making sure you keep purified air is an extremely important way to prevent these chemicals going into the air in the first place to keep indoor air quality at a safe level. Ventilating the room to remove chemicals in the air is the best way to lower the level of chemicals in the hair salon or nail salon.
What Type Of Air Purifier Would Be Suitable?
We highly recommend an air purifier with Hepa Filter Technology, able to directly filter out particles and fumes of chemicals affecting the air quality and providing powerful deodorization of chemicals in the air. Jya Fjord and Fjord Pro uses hepa filters with NanoGuard Technology that is able to filter 99.99% of harmful substances in the air from cosmetics and airisoles.They feature vital air detection system, checking 5 major air quality data stats for accurate information about the room's air quality and thanks to built-it-sensors it can use automatic mode by adjusting it’s running speed when it detects an air quality change and effectively adapting to its surroundings. Thanks to these features you can work safely with the knowledge that you have an added layer of protection for your health and give yourself and your customers a refreshing experience that can leave them breathing easy. You don’t need to endure long days being exposed to airisoles and chemicals when you have a reliable air purifier from Jya. Check out what both the Jya Fjord and Jya Fjord Pro have to offer by visiting our product page.